Thursday, August 26, 2010

the saddest show on earth

You all know I'm vegan and love to eat vegan food, but I rarely mention why I chose this lifestyle. First and foremost, animal cruelty in the meat and dairy industry has sickened me so much that I cannot stand to eat food another living being has suffered for. There is much more to be said about a vegan diet, but I'll save that for another post. The thing is, the more I learn about the treatment of animals in aspects besides food (the fur industry, pet stores, entertainment, etc) the more shocked and appalled I become. Honestly, I think the majority of people just have no clue what happens to these animals, and even if you don't agree with PETA, I believe they deserve props for exposing the cruelty inflicted on animals that largely goes ignored.

I was really disappointed to see an ad for the Ringling Brothers Circus on a PDX bus yesterday...apparently the circus is coming to Portland Sept. 2 - 5. The elephants performing in the "saddest show on earth" are held captive, brutally beaten, shocked, and whipped during training to learn tricks that an elephant is simply not designed to perform. It enrages me that mankind continues to use violence and power to dominate animals. Someone needs to wake up and realize that animals are helpless to the evils of humans; they need to be protected and sheltered from the cruel hand of man!
Ringling Beats Elephants
I am urging to you become informed about what is really going on with animals in the entertainment industry. Ignorance may seem like bliss, but it's time for a reality check.

Visit Ringling Bros Beats Animals to read the stories of the animals enslaved to the circus. I understand these images can be very hard to see, I myself can barely stomach it, but if you love animals you must take a stand. If you live in Portland, Food Fight is organizing protests against the upcoming circus show. Click here to get involved.

14 comments:

juliamarisa said...

I've been vegetarian for the last four years and made the switch to vegan a couple months ago. I'm so glad to see someone with such a wide audience posting on why it's so important to change our diets and our lives. After a while, it becomes easy to forget why we do it because vegan/vegitarian just becomes the default. Thanks for the reminder!

I just wish PETA would stop being so militant. They won't change many minds if they keep pissing people off. They do good work, but their attitude is such a turn off. Luckily we have wonderful people like you to sweeten the message!

rachel / Red Lips Vintage said...

It's gotta be hard to be PETA. They are exposed to so much more truth regarding the animal industries than us little people could ever imagine...

Gaby and Jane said...

I can't quite believe this still goes on, its heart breaking.

Well done for speaking out and letting more people know about it

Gaby xo

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

i absolutely get sick when i see or hear stories like that. i have no tolerance for people who hurt and mistreat animals, whether it's for profit or any other reason.

i'm not against people eating meat, so long as they're responsible and buy from a cruelty-free (local) farm, but i hate that most people have no idea what the animal went through before it was slaughtered and served on their plate.

i discovered LONG ago that it was my sole mission in life to help animals in whatever way possible, even if it means putting myself in danger. just know that you aren't alone in the fight!

Le Cerf Noir said...

Ringling Brothers just left Austin a few days ago. I was stuck in traffic next to the convention center where it was being held, and was very proud to see a large amount of protesters standing in front of the gates. They brought the animals in by train keep in mind. It has been over 100 degrees almost every day this August. Metal cattle-cars are both un-airconditioned and inhumane. I am both terrified and saddened by all of this. The least I can say is that I did not contribute to the circus' success. Keep voicing your ideas and feelings, we all need to know what is really going on.

:(

spunkpunkandlace said...

Thought I could watch the video but my eyes started tearing up within ten seconds. These dear sweet animals....and this is why I just brought into my home a 6th little fur baby who was horribly abandoned on the side of the road. Humans can be so disgusting.

Amber Blue Bird said...

Cheers to you for standing up for what you believe in. I cant believe people can actually watch those poor animals and be at all entertained.

Rhonda said...

good on you for posting this. i find it deeply disturbing and upsetting but it is important that awareness is raised. hope it makes people think. if i lived in Portland i would be there protesting! those poor, beautiful creatures :(

Darling L said...

I'm not a fully vegan but I always try to choose very carefully what I eat cause I can't stand animal cruelty, here in Spain we have the bullfighting that I CAN NOT STAND and sadly it's very difficult to eradicate since it's considered a tradition... oh well, and I can't stand circus where animals are involved, not even when I was a kid, so I was so glad to read this post of you, you encouraged me to write different kind of posts, not only about vintage and inspiration but about society too, you really are a great girl Rachel.

Same Length Pinkies said...

I decided to become a vegetarian, later vegan, when I was three years old. In my Kindergarten, rumor had it that the food we ate was made from dead animals. I could hardly believe it and the same evening, I asked my mom about it. She told me that the rumors were true. I puked and declared I would never eat animals again. My parents thought it would just be a phase, but I haven't eaten animals since. While back then it was a purely emotional response, really informing myself as I got older has helped me to intellectualize my decision from early childhood and enabled me to explain to people why it's the right choice.
I also recommend "Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

rachel / Red Lips Vintage said...

Thank you guys! It feels good to stand up for what is morally right and know that you all are with me on this issue!

Ruby said...

I'm a vegeterian as well. It breaks my heart seeing those pictures and it always makes me cry. My dog was kept in a basement until I saved him.
I don't go to the circus and I don't wear any feathers or real lether...the treatment of this poor little elephant baby makes me cry :(

Emily said...

i stopped after the first few "whacks" its so hard to watch. it makes me sad i ever attended a circus, though i was un aware of this treatment at the time. i cant believe they are even still around, especially with all of this available to the public eye. its sad and its sick.

Annie, Time Enough for Drums said...

I'm glad you posted this! The circus has terrible treatment of animals, not to mention what may be worse: the zoo.