Friday, September 3, 2010

Please Protest Ringling Bros Circus

Last night I asked Alex if he would attend a protest against Ringling Bros, and learned that he hadn't seen the photos of elephant and tiger abuse or watched the video of trainers referring to an elephant as a "fat ass" while whipping and striking them with unbreakable bullhooks. I urged him to watch, view, and read former Ringling Brothers trainer, Sam Haddock's disturbing account of the abuse he himself inflicted upon circus animals.

It occurred to me that if Alex, the one person who consistently reads my blog day after day, didn't click through to the links I provided earlier this week, then many of you may not have. I sat up with him late last night reading Sam Haddock's story again. And again, my heart is broken into a million pieces. I know the circus is only one of many money hungry corporations that abuse animals and lie about it, but by joining in on the protest at Portland's Rose Garden Arena, I will stand up for what is right and ethical, and I won't allow myself to take solace in ignorance.

I am urging you to repost this video and these photos and provide links to Ringling Bros Beat Animals to your blog, facebook, and twitter. If you do so, please tell me and I'll send you a handmade token of my appreciation. 


Alex and I will be protesting this weekend. If you are interested in standing up for animals brutally beaten and confined, please join us. You don't have to go alone, send me an e-mail and we can arrange to meet up. 

These protests are intended to be peaceful and educational. 
Here is the meet up info from the group In Defense of Animals:

"We will meet on the south side of the Rose Garden Arena, near NE Multnomah St. Street. If taking TriMet, your destination will be the Rose Quarter Transit Center. Meeting times are as follows:


Friday, September 3, 6:30 p.m.

Saturday, September 4, 1 p.m.

Saturday, September 4, 5 p.m.
Sunday, September 5, 12 p.m.

Signs and literature will be provided - we just need you to be there!"

7 comments:

OldFashionAllies said...

I cannot even express through words how angry that video makes me! Those people aren't animal trainers, they are animal abusers.
I worked at an aquarium where they had sea lion performances and they never trained them with negative reinforcement.
I would join you at the protest, but I'm not in Portland.
Thank you for posting this and I will definitely forward this on.

rachel / Red Lips Vintage said...

Thanks for your support. Please read Sam Haddock's story too!

Rachel said...

Good luck at the protest, I have my own animal causes that I champion so I know that sick feeling you get when you view this type of thing, I just feel like I don't want any more of it swimming around in my head. After watching a PETA video about factory farming I started telling everyone I could about where the supermarket meat comes from and that's enough for me to work on right now, but I really appreciate when people do step out and say something, it's just not something we should be ok with or ignoring!
~Ruby
http://wroughtironstyle.wordpress.com/

rachel / Red Lips Vintage said...

Ruby, please watch the video and read Haddock's testimonial. It's not easy to have this swimming in our heads, and I completely agree with the disgusting reality of factory farming, but we need to stand up and fight for all animal rights, big and small.

:(

NicholeLA said...

I posted on fb when you did your last circus horror entry!

http://www.facebook.com/nicholela

on August 26th... I'm not sure you can see it though. REPOSTING NOW! So sad I am at work now and FOREVER, damn. I hope you guys are reaching a lot of folks out there!

avalonne lou summers said...

I'm too scared to watch the videos, but I can imagine the horrifying things they do. I hope one day, there is no such thing as animal abuse. Take care when you protest, okay? I can imagine it can get very intense and chaotic.

Noelle said...

Hey there!

I wanted to let you know that I posted a link to your post on my blog: http://goofnoodle.blogspot.com/2010/09/please-dont-support-circus.html

Don't worry about sending anything, I just wanted to help spread the word and let you know that I read, and I listen.

Noelle