Monday, October 4, 2010

DIY: Host a clothing swap!

Photobucket
This past weekend I hosted my very first Naked Lady party! For those of you who have never heard this term, a Naked Lady party is just a fancy name for a clothing swap. Clothing swaps are perfect for cleaning out a clogged closet, sprucing up your wardrobe, and partaking in much needed girl talk. You never know what kind of clothes you'll end up with, and afterwards I found myself playing dress up all night! I adore playing hostess and always try to keep things as stress free and inexpensive as possible. Here are a couple tips on hosting your very own Naked Lady party: 


The Company
No boys are allowed at Naked Lady parties, and there's something really, really awesome about gatherings where all the attendees are ladies. Conversation was constantly buzzing as each woman got to know each other, and continued well after the actual swap was over. Everyone was so sweet and friendly! If you want to have a great group of gals at your party, make sure to let everyone know it's perfectly cool to invite friends, too! A mix of gals keeps things interesting and the clothing piles are full of variety.


The Spread
I always dig in to food at parties, so prepping drinks and snacks was very rewarding. I wanted to make sure snacks were easy to prepare and a breeze to clean up, so I opted to utilize my CSA produce and only spent an additional $20 on booze and chips. Plus, it only took about thirty minutes to get everything chopped up and ready to eat! There's nothing better than mimosas on a sunny Saturday afternoon...they are delicious, cheap, and a little goes a long way. Of course, a few ladies brought along the wine and other snacks, which was very thoughtful! 


Champagne and orange juice = Mimosas 
Red wine
White wine
Celery sticks with peanut butter
Pita chips and hummus
Salsa and guacamole 
Cherry tomatos galore
Delicious kale chips
Sliced peaches and apples


The Goods
Nearly everyone arrived with a bag full of colorful garments, but we resisted the urge to dive right in until about ten ladies were present. Once we'd all mingled and had a few mimosas, we each sorted our bags into categories around the living room and studio. There were a generous amount of blouses, bottoms, jackets, sweaters, dresses, swimsuits, and accessories to choose from, and each lady found something lovely to take home! The left overs were donated, but not until they'd been picked through several times. :)


Ta-da! I'm definitely going to host another clothing swap in the future, and next time I'll be sure to shoot a few photos for ya'll. Have you ever attended a swap? What unexpected treasures did you come away with?

15 comments:

黃愛玲 said...

You have a lovely blog. =o)

Mariel said...

that is a great idea! thanks for the inspiration!

NicholeLA said...

So sad to have missed it! Mimosas = heaven

OldFashionAllies said...

I really wish I could have gone! Did you get my text? Anyway, definitely let me know of the next one you host. By that time I may very well have replenished my closet and have things to get rid of. :)
Hope all is well,
Valerie

Rachel said...

Do we get to see what you scored....? This sounds really really fun, I'm going to keep this in mind for those sometimes-dreary winter months ahead :)
~Ruby
http://wroughtironstyle.wordpress.com/

casey said...

How fun! I've always wanted to do something like this, but have had the chance to organize one. Definitely going on my things-to-plan list! ;)

♥ Casey | blog

hannah said...

that sounds rad! i've never hosted, but i have been to one hosted by a charity thrift store, but it wasnt anywhere as fun as one at home with friends sounds like it would be!

Whitney said...

Oh man! I love this idea. I'd love to round up some gals and have one of my own!

KristiMcMurry said...

I LOVE clothing swaps. Some of my favorite pieces came from them :)

Le premier bonheur du jour said...

It is such a good alternative to mass consumption.

Le premier bonheur du jour said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lina said...

i've hosted two clothing exchanges & it's always a great excuse to get together with gals you haven't seen in a while. i love it. plus you get some free clothes & get to donate the rest for a good cause. what's not to love? : )

jerricajaneen said...

I hope I can find a good time to do this with a group of friends soon :) They hosted something like this at a church youth gathering once when I was young and I still remember to this day that I missed it, and I was so sad!

-Jerrica

http://jerricajaneen.livejournal.com

wroughtironstyle said...

That sounds like a BLAST! I'll have to remember this idea next time I'm about to haul a giant trash bag of stuff to the thrift store!

Emily Rose Theobald said...

man i want to go to one of those so bad. but around where i live there arent too many girls to invite. i need to look into someone having one in the city. i have so much to share!