Monday, January 3, 2011

Books I read in 2010

2010 was the year I picked up reading for fun again. I owe these books for keeping me entertained on long bus rides...

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
(these first three in bold are my favorites)
East of Eden John Steinbeck
Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
My Mistress' Sparrow is Dead (Short Stories, edited by Jeffrey Eugenides)
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
A Pale View of the Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro
Drown by Junot Diaz
Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel García Márquez
Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang by Joyce Carol Oates
The End of Vandalism by Tom Drury
Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger (Never finished this book)


11 comments:

Amber said...

It's nice to look at a list of books you read, as if they were things you did to make your brain happier and healthier, like brain sit-ups! My whole list would be "things I started in 2010 but still haven't finished"

samantha. said...

um love your list. love books. this inspires me to write my list of 22 books i read in 2010!! are you on goodreads? find me!
xo
sami

Amber Blue Bird said...

I have only read Franny and Zooey from your list. I have to make up my own list and for sure include Lolita and Middlesex.

lina said...

i've been wanting to read franny & zooey. i have it on my bookshelf. i picked it up at the thrift store for 50 cents. is there a reason why you didn't finish it? i have trouble finishing books all of the time.

rachel / Red Lips Vintage said...

hmm, I think I got tired of the negative vibe that the book gave me. I don't like to finish books that put me in a bad mood...

avalonne lou summers said...

That is quite a hefty list! I want to read more in 2011, but I always say that and I still manage to fail every year... maybe 2011 will finally be different. I guess we'll see.

Happy New Year, Rachel! I hope you have a wonderful, healthy, safe, successful Happy New Year!

Sunfunnels said...

wind-up bird is beautiful,it's such a quiet book.

Yoshi said...

I completely agree with your favourites, those three are all great, but I particularly loved The God of Small Things and I'd definitely place it at the top of that list. :D

Milla said...

I love Jeffrey Eugenides. Have you seen the film Virgin Suicides? It was directed by Sofia Coppola.. One of my favorite movies, and an awesome soundtrack.

Lo said...

Great List--Haruki Murakami and Gabriel Garcia Marquez are two of my favorites. I've been meaning to read Franny and Zooey for a while now but I must admit I don't know if I will care for it much either. I'm one of the few people who did not love Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. So we will see!

katriniella said...

I just found your blog, via Colette Patterns and clever nettle--loved that V-day photoshoot!
I, too, think this is a great list. I've been eyeing The God of Small Things for a few months now, and think I'll have to jump into it soon!
Thanks for sharing!